Tuesday, February 7, 2012

IMU

Gary has been moved from ICU to IMU, Intensive Medical Unit, 2nd floor, room 266 and I do not have to pick up a phone,announce myself and ask for admittance to the unit. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but every time I walked out of ICU, even if just to get a cup of coffee I had to stand outside and ask for re admittance, I gotta tell you I was a little tired of this litany...pick up the phone...on the other end "ICU this is (whoever was answering the phone, many names)...me-"Hi this is Monica Mueller, my husband is in room 250, would you please ask his nurse if I am able to come back" other end- (heavy sigh) "let me ask"-waiting on the other end listening to piped in music-"ok come on in". Seriously the same thing 10 times a day for 21 days, that equals 210 times. I am over it.
Yesterday when I arrived at the hospital after work I found Gary in room 266 sitting up in bed eating something that I cannot honestly say I would ever see him eat, much less with a huge smile on his face...pureed chicken. He is not able to feed himself and quite frankly I imagine this to be an extremely difficult exercise for him it is a picture of what surrender looks like. Laid bare to what other people can and will do for you. I cannot help but think about this is what God wants from us in surrender to him. Completely trusting that He wants the absolute best for us, if we would only submit to his plan for our lives.
The nursing staff on this unit is as loving and caring as everyone we met in ICU and I had great peace when I had to leave there today, unable to return until Friday morning because of work.
He continues to need quite a few respiratory treatments through the day and the size of the trach tube was reduced today, moving him one step closer to actually having the trach removed.
He is very weak and I am asking for prayers specific to his strength returning as a result of repairing neurological systems. Anyone who has ever shook Gary's hand knows that he had a ridiculously strong grip, I know he is looking forward to the ability to shake hands again even with a normal grip!
He is very grateful for the prayers of the faithful knows well that the promise of God that "fervent, effectual prayers of a righteous man avails much".James 5:16

I woke up the other morning and decided I know what the definition of exhaustion is. It is waking up and wondering when you can go back to bed. I am there. Yesterday I walked into my office and work and just began to cry, my poor co-workers. I could not figure out why I was crying because we had such good news the night before. I just looked at them and said "I'm so sorry, I am just exhausted".
This morning I opened my devotional to Feb 7 (can that even be right???) and this is what I read "Come to me for rest and refreshment. The journey has been too much for you, and you are bone weary, do not be ashamed of your exhaustion."  I cannot on any level imagine how anyone can deny the Sovereignty of God!!!! Somewhere in time, God anointed Sarah Young to write this days devotional for me...for this day.
                                Adonai.... Oh how he loves us!!!!
If you want to read the rest of this you need to buy "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.

In relentless pursuit of Him,
Monica

3 comments:

  1. Was the pureed chicken molded into the shape of a chicken leg? When I worked in the kitchen at St. Mary's in Racine I used to have to fill the molds. We also had one that looked like a pile of green peas. I'm really glad to hear Gary is making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog today reminded me of Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say "thank you" for sharing your heart and writing this blog. We miss you two and it helps to have this connection and know how you both are doing. Looking forward to shaking hands with Gary again on Sunday mornings soon! Yes, what would we do without the strength of Christ! Keeping you in prayer and believing. Love, Jame

    ReplyDelete