Thursday, March 15, 2012

For crying out loud it's spring already!

I am so thankful for the text messages that show up in my phone. "Strengthen my feeble hands steady my knees that give way, say to those with fearful hearts, be strong, do not fear, your God will come" Isaiah 35:3
Brenda Johnson sent me that text last week. How amazing is that, a verse for Gary and me! Gary went to the Neenah/Menasha YMCA this week to go swimming. Well, not swimming but floating. He had his last treatment of IVIG and was able to have his pic line removed. He was so shocked when he found out that the line went through his arm to just next to his heart. Good thing he was sleeping when all the bad stuff was happening. Because the pic line is out, he is able to go to the pool which I am sure he would have loved to be able to do that several weeks ago. My friend Nancy Wilkinson and I watched him from the viewing area, his excitement was palpable. I am so thankful for his physical therapist Dan who Gary has wrapped around his little finger, I could see Gary telling him just how things were going to go and Dan complied. He is a great guy! There is something so freeing about being in the water, laying back and just floating. I could not help but think about how that feeling would be magnified for Gary having been in a bed or chair for the last 9 weeks. The look on his face was sublime and I could not have been more thrilled for him as raised and lowered his arms snow angel fashion. Gravity has been an enemy to him and his lack of upper body strength keeps him from being able to move his arms. He was able to stand at the side of the pool and walk up and down the wall. He told me he was wondering if his feet would remember what to do, and they did.
We found out Tuesday that Gary is going to be discharged on Thursday March 22. It's one of those good news/bad news deal. Funny how you never hear someone say "I have good news and I have good news" It would make it so easy to choose which one you wanted to hear first. Well, the good news is Gary is being discharged after 10 weeks of being at Theda Clark Medical Center he is heading back north to Shawano. The bad news is that he will not be able to come home, so I am being charged with the task of finding a skilled nursing facility with an excellent rehab department. I have to admit, I am disappointed. When he entered the hospital January 16 I simply assumed that when he was discharged I would bring him home.
He told me last night that after his therapy they had put him in a regular wheelchair and he used his feet to get himself back to his room old man style. When I look at how weak he continues to be in his upper body, I remind myself that 6 weeks ago he was a quadriplegic I cannot help but be in awe of where God has brought him. Oh how He loves us!!!! And when I was told by someone this week that Gary may not walk for a year I heard Kris Fairless' voice in my head saying "whose report are you going to believe, this report or the report of the LORD". Going for the report of the LORD!
I think I have found a great place for him with a terrific therapy department. Our challenge will be the insurance. Please pray that there will be favor with Insurance Company that Gary would get the therapy time he needs. We continue to covet the prayers of the faithful.
"ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find knock and the door will be opened to you". I find it interesting that verses I have committed to my memory many years ago somehow allude me. And then, I open my devotional for the day and the power of God's word super cedes any concern I have at that moment.
We are blessed and highly favored. We continue to thank God for all who have allowed themselves to be used by God by pounding heaven on our behalf, sending daily text messages of encouragement and love (thanks B) surrounding us with love, meeting so many of our financial and practical needs. May you be blessed, many have given to us out of their own need and I am overwhelmed.
I remain, Relentless after Him,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment