Thursday, January 26, 2012

A week and a half ago my husband Gary woke up complaining of vague flu like symptoms. Within 2 days we were planted in ICU at Theda<3 Clark Medical Center in Neenah Wisconsin. When you hear the phrase "life is fragile" what comes to mind is a newborn infant or the frail old woman bent over a walker. The last thing that comes to mind is a hulking 250 pound bull of a man being reduced to essentially a quadriplegic overnight.
Gary has Guillian Barre' Syndrome, henceforth known as GBS. It is a ridiculously rare disorder something akin to winning the lottery without the lottery officials showing up with a big check and random relatives coming out of the woodwork wanting a share in the pot. Here's the rub, the condition has no cure, only treatments and recovery is painfully slow, upwards of a year.
My purpose in starting this blog (which I have no idea what that even means) is to update Garys' condition and share my random rambling thoughts, mostly about the Lord.
Gary is currently on a ventilator that has some kind of medical initials that means the vent tube is down his mouth and throat. Anyone who knows Gary can imagine that this is a massive trial for him because he cannot speak, but take heart he has found ways to control those of us around him even without speaking. I try to be out of the room when he tries to communicate his needs because I can say unequivocally  I have never done anything more frustrating in my life!  Just so I don't seem like a complete meanie, I do understand how difficult it is for Gary and I know he is frustrated but I will just put it out there, I am NO saint. He has been fairly heavily sedated since nearly a week ago so it does make his thoughts pretty interesting when he rouses to communicate a need.
He has received 7 rounds of Plasma Transfer treatments which has seemingly been ineffective. Today he began a new treatment, IVIG which is Intravenous Immunoglobulin. It's all just really mad science to me but where the plasmapharesis was used to remove the offending antibodies, the IVIG is intended to help fight the antibodies, or something kind of like that (no phone calls please from medical professionals).

This is just a snapshot of the last 10 days, more to follow like, "I get the GBS part and the Me part but what is the Sarah Young part?" Yet to come. Or maybe YTC, there I invented a new phrase for texting, please feel free to use it.

In 10 short days God has revealed himself to be exactly who He says He is. Elohim The God of Power and might and "Because of The Lord's great love we are not consumed." Lamentations 3:22

Dear Reader, we are standing strong in the promises of God because ALL of God's promises are Yes and Amen, so sleep comes easily each night.

Relentless After Him,
Monica

2 comments:

  1. Monica praying for Gary, you and the family! ~ Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about this Monica. The only comfort I can provide is to refer to the cliche that everything happens for a reason. It's not much, I know. But remember there are a lot of people who care very deeply about you and Gary.

    ReplyDelete